Re: OCI, binding and memory usage

From: Ken Wallis <kwallis_at_paperless-warehousing.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 09:29:59 +1000

"Eric" <bytewarrior2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote

It is odd, isn't it. For pretty much everything else you have to explicitly allocate and free the handles,
but for an OCIBind or OCIDefine handle you just declare it and use it.

As I understand it, if you reuse the same OCIBind * handle then Oracle handles the clean up of anything
left over from the last time it was used. There may not even be any memory allocation involved, since the handles
ought really to be associated with the prepared statement and its placeholders.

I haven't had a problem with this and I have processes running for a long time, regularly re-binding different
addresses to the same statements and re-executing them. I'm not seeing leakage.

HTH, Ken Wallis