Re: universal installer sucks!

From: Jim Glockling <jglockli_at_bbn.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:37:33 GMT

In article <a2b6d46b.0207081205.7b9cc91_at_posting.google.com> qcom_at_attbi.com (MS) writes:
>Looks like others are not facing what I am facing, it could be:
>- everyone is installing on super fast n/w or not doint any remote
>installs at all
>- may not have installed 9.2 install over the n/w

I don't know about 9.2, but doing *remote* installs with 8i is just about impossible. It's Java, specifically that crappy byte-code verification, that makes it a painful process. Oracle ought to rethink that, and at least offer non-java alternatives ala Veritas Netbackup. Obviously some of the other respondents here have a different notion of "remote".

-Jim G. Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 15:37:33 CDT