Re: Oracle vs DB2

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:37:21 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:29:28 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

<snip>
>Most likely things will stay roughly as they are for the forseeable future. But
>just as COBOL, ALGOL, RPG, and others have come and gone don't think you are
>going to be in this business and not have to learn new things constantly. When
>and if the time comes to learn other products ... that's just the nature of the
>beast.

<snip>

Just to pick a nit . . . COBOL hasn't gone yet. It's just below a lot of people's radar screen because it's not the sexy language de jour. I'd say the chances are better than even that your paycheck is written by a COBOL program! Same for your telephone bill.

But, agreeing with your main point . . . even COBOL programmers are having to learn new tricks within the language to stay employable.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)