Re: The Steps Taken to be a DBA

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:41:07 +0100

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> My guess is that the most common paths are either
>
> development -> (optionally) analyst ->DBA
>
> or else
>
> support -> senior support -> DBA
>
> Of course some of us started out as auditors or musicians......
>
> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> Please include version and platform
> and SQL where applicable
> It makes life easier and increases the
> likelihood of a good answer

> "Sted Alana" <Sted_Alana_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am currently studying an IT program, and hope that when I finish to
> obtain
> > a job as a DBA. I do realize that I wont get that position straight away
> as
> > most IT companies require possible candidates to have at least 2-3 years
> > minimum experience.
> >
> > I would like to know what positions DBA have taken (from low positions to
> > high positions) before they got to where they are now, so I know what path
> > should be take in my near future.
> >

> > --
> > N e w s N e t C u s t o m e r
> > E - m a i l : sted.alana_at_hotmail.com

True story (my own...)

Boss:   "See that sh..t load of gear in boxes over there in the corner"
Victim: "Uh-huh"
Boss:   "Apparently its you-nicks.  We need it for client server -
company strategy"
Victim: "Client-what?"
Boss: "Hey don't ask me - just get it installed and something running on it by the end of week.
Victim: "Why me?" (anticipating comments about most-talented, hardest-working, etc)
Boss: "'Cos you're sitting closest to it...And by the way, your performance review will be based on this" Victim: (gulp)

:-)

--
Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk