Re: Oracle vs DB2

From: Alexys Flores <arflores1_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:07:40 GMT

It all depends on your environment if you are working on a Extremely Large Database -PBytes installation running on an IBM Mainframe S/390 or now renamed Z series DB2 has the edge in performance wise. But Oracle has the edge in Unix world especially on a Solaris box its fully optimized. I had seen Oracle work on the IBM Mainframe its really slow and hogs all OS/390 resources.

I think there is no valid reason to compare apples and oranges but I believe in the concepts of CODD's Rules on Data Normalization, Good Database Design and Hetoregenous database environment.

All Relational Database product are slow and hogs all OS resources compare to Hierarchical and Network databases.

Relational databases was intended for use as a quick and dirty data extractor and reporting tool to compliment DSS(Decision Support System) needs.