Re: Oracle vs DB2

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:29:28 GMT

R Chin wrote:

> OK, let's forget about SQL $erver....
> How is DB2 compared to Oracle ? Is it gonna wop Oracle's a** ....? maybe in
> the not too distant future...?
> Personally I am a bit worried for I have been pretty much totally ignored
> others but focusing on Oracle...
>
> Thanks for your input
> Robert

Most likely things will stay roughly as they are for the forseeable future. But just as COBOL, ALGOL, RPG, and others have come and gone don't think you are going to be in this business and not have to learn new things constantly. When and if the time comes to learn other products ... that's just the nature of the beast.

To your question ... no. And mostly because of the following factor:

IBM does not support its product with 3rd party books and resources that can be used to learn it.

If you want to get a free copy of Oracle there are hundreds of resources to choose from to learn it. Go to a bookstore and try to find a book on DB2. Amazon.com lists 441 books with Oracle in the title, 109 with DB2. And many of them of little use if you don't happen to have a mainframe in your closet.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 10:29:28 CDT