Re: Global temporary tables v pl/sql tables

From: Keld Nielsen <keldnielsen_at_image.dk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:19:04 +0200

Hi Richard,
Just a small comment (embedded)

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:TsgW8.30694$Hj3.92875_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com.. .
> Hi
>
> Just to add to what Robert has said.
>
> A GTT is actually quite permanent, it's the data
within it that's temporary
> (either at a transaction or session level).
Therefore you can potentially
> access data in a GTT through many PL/SQL block
executions.

> A PL/SQL table is temporary, period, as it's a
memory structure that exists
> only for the life of the PL/SQL block.

if it's created in a package body (or spec) it will exist during
the life of a session - or am I wrong here ?

> Therefore it depends on what you're trying to
achieve.

> Horses for courses and that sort of thing.
>
> Richard
>

> "R Chin" <rchin_at_panix.com> wrote in message
> > They are different objects...
> > PL/SQL Table = memory structure, like array,
can't use SQL...
> > GTT = real db table that's wriiten to disk,
got rowids.... any DML...you
> > know what to do
> > with ordinary table you kno what to do with
GTT.
> > All depends on your needs...you use what you
need to do what you want to
> do.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> > Tony Crispin wrote in message ...
> > >I am looking for a bit of advice/information:
> > >
> > >I need to understand the performance
implications of using either global
> > >temporary tables or pl/sql tables for storing
temporary data generated
> > >during a session.
> > >

> > >How are pl/sql tables implemented by Oracle;
> > >What is the benefit of using one method
rather than the other;
> > >When should one method be used rather than
the other?