Materialized Views, Refresh Groups and DDMS_REFRESH Procedures

From: Markus Kunze <markus.kunze_at_sdm.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 11:05:41 GMT

Hi,

I have defined MVs (A, B, C) on tables of my database. The mvs are defined with FAST refresh option and with a given period NEXT 'SYSDATE+320/86400'. I want the MVs to update periodically and the update transaction must be atomic. According to Oracle Docs I executed the following statement:

BEGIN
DBMS_SNAPSHOT.REFRESH (
   'A,B,C'
,NULL
,NULL
,TRUE
,FALSE
,1
,0
,0
,TRUE);

END;
/

This means my mvs will refresh FAST (their own refresh option) every 5 minutes in ONE transaction.

But I also found information about refresh groups in the oracle docs and I don't understand what they are used for.

Can anyone help me? What is the use for Refresh Groups?

Is it better to group my mvs first and define the refresh option on the refresh group?

Thanks in advance

Markus Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 06:05:41 CDT