Re: Database Hit Ratios

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:55:20 +1000

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:TcaW8.30271$Hj3.92161_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi Howard,
>
> I must admit, of all the various Oracle courses I taught, I regarded the
> Performance Tuning course as the weak link. It really doesn't tackle the
> issue of performance tuning at all well, is poorly structured, has a poor
> workshop and misses the point too many times. You simply don't tune a
> database the way the course suggests. It requires an instructor to "add"
> valid interpretations on what being discussed to be successful. I remember
> walking in on a performance tuning course on day 3 because of illness,
being
> stunned and horrified on what was said and taught in the first 2 days (no
> names). I basically had to re-teach everything in the 3 remaining days.
>
> I dislike generalisations (you may have noticed) and I guess the point I'm
> trying to make is that suggestions such as hit ratios are *always* useless
> and the such strikes me the wrong way. My natural instinct is to say, but
> what about ...

Agree, agree. I just don't think you'll have seen anyone saying hit ratios are "always" useless.

They *are* always useless as a tuning goal.

But not as a diagnostic in their own right.

If I've ever said anything otherwise, I expect a swarm of past students to post in right now.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz
HJR
> Regards
>
> Richard
> "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > I'll give another example. See if that makes it clearer.
> >
> > The 9i Performance Tuning course, in Chapter 14 (read that and weep :
> > FOURTEEN!!) has as its first page a slide which reads "Application
Design