Re: Any APIs?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:40:49 +1000

"Karen" <abvk_at_ureach.com> wrote in message news:3D28B201.81F5A9A2_at_ureach.com...

> > Whoa! You'll have to run that one pass me again. Oracle are "trying to
get
> > rid" of tnsnames.ora and listener.ora??
> >
> > I don't think so.
> >
> > They may be trying to get rid of static SID declarations in the
> > listener.ora. But that's about it. Service names need resolving. There
will
> > *always* be a need therefore for a resolving mechanism. TNSNAMES is just
> > resolving mechanism. There are others (names server, etc). But tnsnames
is
> > basic, functional and ain't going nowhere soon.
> >
> > Likewise... the listener will always be with us, and will always need
> > configuring if the defaults aren't appropriate to your needs.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> I thinks attempts to get rid of these files are being made. Dynamic
instance
> registration is an example.

That doesn't get rid of anything, except a SID_LIST in Listener.ora. You still need a Listener.Ora to tell the Listener what name it should have and what port it should listen on -unless you are happy to accept the defaults, which are severely restrictive for most practical purposes.

> Oracle Names is a much better alternative to tnsnames,

This statement just isn't true. Oracle Names is actually going to be de-supported (yup, it's *that* much better than tnsnames), and in the meantime it is only doing what tnsnames.ora does, but on a larger scale. The magic point being the words 'larger scale'. When you've a couple of dozen clients to configure, automated distribution of tnsnames to PCs is probably far easier than building a Names infrastructure. Beyond that number, Names or similar LDAP-compliant technologies have compelling management advances, true. But Oracle nowehere promotes Names as a 'preferred' solution, and tnsnames as a 'deprecated' one. They each have their niches.

>just like DNS is an
> alternative to /etc/hosts.

Precisely. I don't see /etc/hosts going anywhere soon, do you? And why not, indeed? For a dozen PCs, hosts is a perfectly reasonable solution, and no-one would seriously suggest that anyone was "trying to get rid of it". Horses for courses.

HJR Received on Sun Jul 07 2002 - 21:40:49 CDT