Re: Index Across Tables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 19:40:00 +0100

You could go one step further, and create a single bitmap index on the table SALES, defined on the columns

    (customer.age_band, geography.state, product.product_class)

So the index contains bitmaps covering rowid ranges on the Sales tables, but values from the other three tables.

Sounds like a great idea - but the penalty for updating the fact table, or any of the dimension tables in a way that changes the bitmaps is huge. (But we don't update the indexed columns on tables with bitmap indexes anyway). Moreover, when you create a bitmap join index, Oracle creates a couple of global temporary tables in the SYS schema, and forgets to drop one of the when you drop the index - so you gradually accumulate garbage in the SYS schema if you follow a policy of

    drop index
    apply DML to fact table
    rebuild index

I'm still trying to decide why a bitmap join index might, or might not, be a better idea than an index-based bitmap function.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminars