Re: Start MS-excel from oracle on clientPC

From: Siebe Jongebloed <s.jongebloed_at_chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 08:55:31 GMT

Hi Sybrand,

Since I was maybe a bit short in why I want to create such "a disaster application", here a bit more.

First. It is not the case that I think PL/SQL could not do the job. That would just be easy programming.

But, the case is, that "the organisation", where I need this solution for, is working with lots of spreadsheets, which use formulas inside, who change a lot and differ a lot.

The spreadsheets are using source-data(taken over by hand) from a oracle database and is supplying target data(also taken over by hand). Note: The people who are responsible for those spreadsheets are the opposite of a "Senior Oracle DBA".

So I know there a several ways to use, for example ODBC, to atomise the 'by hand'-thing.

But that is just one step.

In principle I would like the situation, that when Oracle-source-data changes, also the Oracle-result-data would change automatically. No human interaction involved.

So I need a 'On-Change'-trigger on the 'Oracle-source-data', that would cause excel to calculate the new Oracle-result-data.

How could I get to communicate Oracle with Excel, about this.

Or are there good alternatives for this idea?

Like to here from you.

Siebe Jongebloed (Senior Consultant Content Management)

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schreef in bericht news:7o5eiu0pp8t5nepl48pbmeu99kij409700_at_4ax.com...