Re: Any APIs?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:57:43 +1000

"Karen" <abvk_at_ureach.com> wrote in message news:3D27DA75.F85F0E6F_at_ureach.com...
> No API. Even if such API existed it would be clumsy. There is a lot
> of clauses in these files, and an API would have to have calls to encode
> them.
>
> Besides, Oracle is trying to get rid of the files, make this automatic.

Whoa! You'll have to run that one pass me again. Oracle are "trying to get rid" of tnsnames.ora and listener.ora??

I don't think so.

They may be trying to get rid of static SID declarations in the listener.ora. But that's about it. Service names need resolving. There will *always* be a need therefore for a resolving mechanism. TNSNAMES is just a resolving mechanism. There are others (names server, etc). But tnsnames is basic, functional and ain't going nowhere soon.

Likewise... the listener will always be with us, and will always need configuring if the defaults aren't appropriate to your needs.

Regards
HJR