Re: Start MS-excel from oracle on clientPC

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 6 Jul 2002 21:16:51 -0700

"Siebe Jongebloed" <s.jongebloed_at_chello.nl> wrote in message news:<pSDV8.341238$yP6.13233381_at_Flipper>...
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to combine functionality of Oracle and Excel.
>
> The idea is to use Oracle-Table-records-columns inside excel-spreadsheet to
> calculate new values of other Oracle-Table-records-columns. The spreadsheet
> itself should also reside inside a Oracle-'BLOB' with information on which
> Oracle-source-records are used inside the excel-spreadsheet.
>
> A trigger inside Oracle should cause
>
> 1.. a particularly spreadsheet be sent to a oracle-client machine,
> 2.. start excel,
> 3.. update target values,
> 4.. as soon as source-records have changed.
> 5..
> How is this possible?

Sieve:

Are you aware of the Oraxcel plugin? It is available at:

       http://www.oraxcel.com/

I find it very useful; what it does is to add an extra menu into your Excel program. You can make queries, etc. and the result is returned to your spreadsheet. There is a free and a full version.

BEGIN-OF-FLAME
BTW: Initially the program was called Oraxcel, but for reasons beyond anyone's comprehension the "geniuses" at Oracle threatened the author, and he had to change the name to SQL*XL. Companies are spending millions these days to have name recognition, and there are so many programs name like Mac-such-and-such or Win-whatever, but Oracle's marketing or legal group, which probably have nothing better to do, just bark at a guy that's just trying to make an honest living.

I have been using the product since before the name change, and was very surprised when the author (I only know the guy by e-mail) said that he received a nasty letter from Oracle, and he was sure that he could beat them in court, but he simply didn't have the resources, so he was forced to change the name of the product (but not the site's).
END-OF-FLAME Regards,

-Ramon Received on Sat Jul 06 2002 - 23:16:51 CDT