Re: Index Across Tables

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:11:27 GMT

in article ag80ig$rr3$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz, Howard J. Rogers at dba_at_hjrdba.com wrote on 7/6/02 5:03 PM:

> All perfectly true, but that still doesn't make the bitmap join index an
> index 'across tables'.

I guess we will have to differ on the semantics - but I still think an index that indexes every distinct value in a column of one table, but references the rows in another table, without the need for the column to be repeated in both tables, IS an index across tables.

Without using the other alternative of storing the join as a materialized view, what would you suggest an index across two tables actually looks like ? Received on Sat Jul 06 2002 - 22:11:27 CDT