Re: Start MS-excel from oracle on clientPC

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 18:17:44 +0200

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 15:17:41 GMT, "Siebe Jongebloed" <s.jongebloed_at_chello.nl> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I would like to combine functionality of Oracle and Excel.
>
>The idea is to use Oracle-Table-records-columns inside excel-spreadsheet to
>calculate new values of other Oracle-Table-records-columns. The spreadsheet
>itself should also reside inside a Oracle-'BLOB' with information on which
>Oracle-source-records are used inside the excel-spreadsheet.
>
>A trigger inside Oracle should cause
>
> 1.. a particularly spreadsheet be sent to a oracle-client machine,
> 2.. start excel,
> 3.. update target values,
> 4.. as soon as source-records have changed.
> 5..
>How is this possible?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Siebe.

By creating a disaster application, which is the architecture you lay down above.
PL/SQL can just do any calculation, and I can't imagine that anyone with only a bit of sanity in his mind would endeavour to write an external function to call Excel from a trigger, while Excel can call Oracle using ODBC.
In short: either try to explain what is so complicated that would require Excel, or try to get acquainted with ODBC and VBA to implement your requirements directly in Excel.
Calling Excel from a trigger is just not going to work, unless this is a mickey mouse app, which is supposed to work from one client only.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jul 06 2002 - 11:17:44 CDT