Re: universal installer sucks!

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 00:12:01 +0200

On 5 Jul 2002 12:22:45 -0700, qcom_at_attbi.com (MS) wrote:

>I have found the gui tool (OUI) for installation slow and painful. It
>used to be tolerable on local LAN installs. Of late I had to install
>8.1.7 on servers on the east coast (US) (I work in west coast), the
>network being slow - around 75kbps, I found that I have to wait around
>3-5 seconds for response to each mouse click. Oracle 9.2 install is
>similarly so bad - even on a local LAN install - I have to wait 3-5
>seconds for each mouse click. If I have to scroll on the gui, it's
>just miserable. Is this something others have faced too? Is there a
>way to speed up the process (other than using response files)? I know
>java gui is slow but it can't be so bad, it's probably the application
>that is bad. Is this the best oracle could come up with?
>
>Other issue I have with this gui is it expects me to have X-windows
>and where I work we connect to unix servers from PC, so we need to buy
>a x-emulator just to install! This is so un-unix. I miss the text
>installer so bad! Can anything be done to force oracle to provide text
>based installer?
>
>Also with Oracle 9.2 install I find the GUI is still worse, even on a
>local LAN install .
>
>Any suggestions are welcome.
>
>thanks.
>
>-Madhu S

Looks like you don't have the hardware and the software to work with Oracle. Why do you blame the installer when it is evident your network is the culprit? Millions of people can work with the installer!

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jul 05 2002 - 17:12:01 CDT