Re: Sizing for Oracle ebusiness suite

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 21:45:11 +0100

"Jess Liao" <jessl_at_jessl.best.vwh.net> wrote in message news:vamV8.13088$T_.274085_at_iad-read.news.verio.net...
> The system is to handle no more than 30 concurrent users at peak time,
> 10-15 concurrent users most of tthe time. It will contain data for HR,
> Manufacturing, financial, etc, for a company of about 200 people that
> is in both research and manufacturing business.
>
> Based on what I know about oracle database and java (app server uses
> jsp i guess?), and budget, I am deciding on the following Sun hardware:
>
> production:
> 1 V480 4 cpu 16 gig ram for all oracle app serv/ebusiness suites, database
> 1 280R 2 cpu 4 gig ram for OFA and its own database(? read about
requiring
> its own database)
<snip>

> Could anyone please comment on this sizing, anything I should watch
> for? and/or if any reference can be pointed to me, ie a sizing tool
> somewhere or other ref docs with similar environment, etc, that'd be
> greatly appreciated too.

I can't comment from experience of Sun kit but if thats the sort of spec you unix guys routinely use for apps to service 30 concurrent users no wonder Windows and linux are gaining in popularity. If you were pushing the boat out you might spend 20-30k on hardware for 30 concurrent users in the Win2k/Com+ world.

in short it seems a generous spec to me. But I am genuinely interested to see what others think, as most folk here know i'm pretty much a windows guy.

> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Jess Liao -> and his first posting in comp.databases.oracle.server

Welcome.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA