universal installer sucks!

From: MS <qcom_at_attbi.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2002 12:22:45 -0700

I have found the gui tool (OUI) for installation slow and painful. It used to be tolerable on local LAN installs. Of late I had to install 8.1.7 on servers on the east coast (US) (I work in west coast), the network being slow - around 75kbps, I found that I have to wait around 3-5 seconds for response to each mouse click. Oracle 9.2 install is similarly so bad - even on a local LAN install - I have to wait 3-5 seconds for each mouse click. If I have to scroll on the gui, it's just miserable. Is this something others have faced too? Is there a way to speed up the process (other than using response files)? I know java gui is slow but it can't be so bad, it's probably the application that is bad. Is this the best oracle could come up with?

Other issue I have with this gui is it expects me to have X-windows and where I work we connect to unix servers from PC, so we need to buy a x-emulator just to install! This is so un-unix. I miss the text installer so bad! Can anything be done to force oracle to provide text based installer?

Also with Oracle 9.2 install I find the GUI is still worse, even on a local LAN install .

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks.

-Madhu S Received on Fri Jul 05 2002 - 14:22:45 CDT