Re: performance tuning problem

From: Jim Lyons <jlyons_at_weblyons.com>
Date: 5 Jul 2002 09:40:15 -0700

"manley" <manley_at_sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<bu4V8.12771$P53.1600521_at_news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Hi, everyone:
>
> I have a strange problem: I have an Oracle 8i database running in W2K server
> ( only 256M RAM, that's low) with a very large table called Table1 ( about 4
> millions records). I issued a SQL query at that table in the server machine
> , like
> SQL> select col1 from table1 where col1='value1';
>
> It takes about 2 minutes or so. But if I open two sessions simultaneously
> and issue the same query like above , the performance is dynamically
> dropped, it takes about 20 minutes or more to finish.
>
> TIA
So the question is how to make it run faster? First of all, is there an index on col1? Have you analyzed table and computed statistics? You might also try more involved solutions such as partitioning if appropriate or at least spreading the table (i.e. the tablespace the table is in) over multiple disks to reduce contention.

Jim Lyons
DBA
UT Austin Received on Fri Jul 05 2002 - 11:40:15 CDT