Re: putting an alias in my tnsnames for a change to report server

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:44:58 GMT

On 3 Jul 2002 14:04:45 -0700, rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote:

>spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow (Ed Stevens) wrote in message news:<3d22f243.176415341_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>...
<snippage>>
>> The technical answer to your question has been answered. However, I would like
>> to express some concern that you have exposed the IP address and other connect
>> information of a military database. A good hacker (which I'm not) now knows the
>> IP address, server DNS name, and listening port of a database server owned by
>> the U.S. Army. Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
>
>try the IP address it wont work. Thanks for your concern.

Well, I did try to ping it, out of curiosity, and the ping timed out. But not being a strong network guy, and even less of a serious hacker, I don't know if that was a true indication of how bullet proof that site is.

Just the same, if I were dealing with this, I would have totally masked the server name, service name, and IP address, so that people wouldn't even know it was a military site. I do that with my own stuff even without the type of security issues you're dealing with. Something like

aaaaaaaa.bbbb.cccc.ddd =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xxx.xx.xxx)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = aaaaaaaa.bbbb.cccc.ddd)     )
  )

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)