Re: how determine unused space for indexes

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 23:33:22 +1000

Hi Mikael,

INDEX_STATS is your best bet and it contains all the statistics you're after. It only contains the latest analyze validate structure data so you'll need to write a script to dump the data to another table for each index.

Consider Locally Managed Tablespaces with smallish uniform extent size. Small indexes don't waste too much space, large indexes use many extents but performance should be hunky dory provided your not in the many 1000s (and even then you could be OK).

Good Luck

Richard