Re: ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS definition

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:51:40 +1000

Hi Howard,

Oh thank goodness, we disagree on something (that sound you hear is me jumping around the room whilst ripping up my airline ticket to Tasmania :)

Public vs. Private Rollback Segments

If I have 8 rollback segments I want to put online (because that's what tuning the system has ultimately determined is most appropriate), what are my options ? List them in the ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS parameter (note only the one Hrishikesh :) which lets face it is not too hard, or use a bit of mathematics (admittedly not most strongest point) and set the TRANSACTIONS and TRANSACTIONS_PER_ROLLBACK_SEGMENT appropriately.

At this point, not a huge amount of difference I admit.

But what if I specifically want my huge rollback segment online that my large transactions have need with the SET TRANSACTION USE command. How can I guarantee that it's one of the selected public rollback segments that go online with your suggestion. You can't.

What if I have a number of tablespaces for my rollback segments (perhaps for the above reason, perhaps for others) and I want a number from a particular tablespace or none from another etc. to go online, how can I control this with public. You can't.

Public rollback segments in my way of thinking only really make sense in an OPS environment, but even then I would prefer the manageability available with private.

Not a flame (take the jacket off), just a slight scorch with my cigarette lighter :)

Regards

Richard