Re: How to track user logon in Oracle 7.3.4

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:06:21 +1000

Martin:

idle_time is server process idle time. For your suggestion to mean anything, it implies that we are worried about someone who has been connected to the database, with the same session, yet doing sod-all for 60 days.

I would have thought this highly unlikely ever to occur, and feel sure (don my cloak of clairvoyance) that the original poster wanted to be able to spot users who haven't logged on for 60 days -that is, their *account* has been "idle" (ie, unused) for that length of time.

It's also the case that password_life_time was invented in Oracle 8.0 (as were all the password management parts of resource profiles). Therefore, even that but of advice won't help our original poster who is stuck, as he said, on 7.3.4.

*My* short answer to the original poster is that without upgrading, you can't do what you want. The view common to all versions of Oracle would be dba_users, and that tells us if an account has been locked out, but it doesn't say anything about 'last logon'. Not even in 9i. 8i would permit you to do an 'after logon on database' trigger, which could be used to populate some sort of logging table. But that's 8i, not 7.

Regards