Re: Sparse TEMP files

From: Liggs <liggs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:45:56 +0000 (UTC)

This has nothing to do with autoextend, I think you misunderstood the problem.
Anyway they are set aside for just oracle datafiles. The point is that 'df .' ignores the sparse files 'reported' size and goes on 'real' size (i.e. much smaller),
and hence gives you a false impression of the real amount of 'free' disk space in a filesystem.
Hence the amount of real disk space Oracle requires when it uses the TEMP datafile grows by
someone just running a query, with NO autoextend etc. enabled. If you see 1Gb free in a filesystem, you assume you can use all of that. Otherwise it becomes a manageability problem. Alun