Re: Opinions for this storage parameters.

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 17:11:14 -0700

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:<FVzU8.26569$Hj3.82346_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...

> But the non believers cry, what if I only have a small table. 10M is way too
> big and would waste space. Then it gets assigned to another tablespace (with
> default storage of INITIAL and NEXT set to say 64K) where they are also
> sized exactly the same without wasting space.

Precisely. And if the "infidels" try to claim this is wasteful of tablespaces, then just create a "catch-all" tablespace where you throw the basket cases. For a while until you can sort them out into proper groups according to use, growth, volatility, etc. Multiple tablespaces were invented in Oracle to make life easier for the DBA by being used. Not by being avoided.

Check out DB2 databases in mainframes: those suckers go to the lengths of creating one tablespace per table! Ludicrous, but there is an underlying principle there that shouldn't be ignored.

> I'm sure this has been discussed many times here but the non believers are
> still out there and I'm still an idealistic twit !!

Oh no you're not. Or else Oracle 8i and 9i are totally wrong too.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 19:11:14 CDT