Re: datafiles and tempfiles

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:50:16 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D2315B1.1D6277EC_at_exesolutions.com...
> Chuck wrote:

[lots of stuff snipped for brevity]

> > The database is no noarchivelog mode and is not a production database.
>
> Which would clearly indicate that there are no transactions worth
recovering. So
> of what possible value are the log files?
>
> Daniel Morgan

Really none. It's just a mater of simplifying the recovery script. All I have to do for any database, any version from 7.0 and on is

  1. untar the database files.
  2. startup the database.

If I do not backup the redo logs as you are suggesting I must

  1. query and record the names and sizes of the tempfiles.
  2. untar the database files
  3. mount the database
  4. recover until cancel
  5. open reset logs
  6. drop the logical tempfiles from the database
  7. add the tempfiles back into the database.

Which is simpler and which would you rather have to do if recovering a database at 3am? My way I can walk an operator through it over the phone in about 30 seconds. With your way it will require me to dial in and do it all myself. Too many steps and too much to go wrong to trust it to an operator. Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 11:50:16 CDT