Re: datafiles and tempfiles

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:17:45 GMT

Jeff wrote:

> In article <3D220325.ED7967FD_at_exesolutions.com>, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >And, I might add, if it is a production database and is not in ARCHIVELOG mode
> >exactly what is the value of the transaction being processed? Apparently zero.
> >Apparently you it is ok to lose the last eleven hours of transactions as long
> > as
> >you have the last fifteen minutes.
>
> Somehow that last little bit doesn't make sense to me. If you're going to
> lose 11 hours of transactions, won't the last 15 minutes of transactions be
> just as lost since the database won't be recoverable? ;-)

My point is that a production database not in archive log mode will only have the most recent transactions. Everything between them and the backup are lost so what's the point of keeping any log files. The most recent one's won't be worth as much as a day old newspaper.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 10:17:45 CDT