Re: datafiles and tempfiles

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:18:55 -0400

Where did I ever mention anything about HOT backups in this thread? I thought I made it clear early in this thread that this was a COLD backup we were talking about. I have perhaps two dozen non production databases that I back up cold, some of which use temp files and some of which are on versions where they are not even available. I back them up because it simplifies he recovery script which can then be used across the board without anyone thinking about how to run it, which version it's restoring, which additional commands are necessary to start the database, etc. The script becomes so simple that even an operator with no database knowledge can understand it.

tar xvf - filename
sqlplus internal <<!
starup
!