Restrictions in the OTN downloadable version of 9i?

From: <peter.peltonen_at_iki.fi>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 09:21:01 GMT

We have downloaded the Oracle 9iR1 from http://otn.oracle.com and are having performance issues with our J2EE app using the db via JDBC. We were wondering:

Is the 9i database server somehow limited that is downloadable from OTN?

Description of our problem:

The Oracle db is running on Red Hat Linux 7.2 (PIII 733MHz, 512M). How it is configured:
- processes 150

Our J2EE is running on WebLogic AS 6.1SP2 that is configured like this:
- uses the thin JDBC driver (classes12.zip) copied from the oracle

And this is what Oracle tells us:

Running the query:

   select  s.username, s.program, s.status,  s.sid,     s.serial#,
   p.spid,     s.machine, s.process, s.lockwait
   from    v$session s, v$process p
   where     s.paddr    = p.addr;

Results:
Oracle's 'own':

                               oracle_at_delfoi (PMON)
ACTIVE            1          1 1252      delfoi
1252
                               oracle_at_delfoi (DBW0)
ACTIVE            2          1 1254      delfoi
1254
                               oracle_at_delfoi (LGWR)
ACTIVE            3          1 1256      delfoi
1256
                               oracle_at_delfoi (CKPT)
ACTIVE            4          1 1258      delfoi
1258
                               oracle_at_delfoi (SMON)
ACTIVE            5          1 1260      delfoi
1260
                               oracle_at_delfoi (RECO)
ACTIVE            6          1 1262      delfoi

Weblogic opens 50 of these (All INACTIVE):

CRMDEV                         JDBC Thin Client
INACTIVE         75         20 1266      goa
CRMDEV                         JDBC Thin Client
INACTIVE         76         20 1266      goa
CRMDEV                         JDBC Thin Client
INACTIVE         77         20 1266      goa

There's also the sqlplus:

SYSTEM                         sqlplus.exe
ACTIVE           71        121 1992      WORKGROUP\BAHAMA

If someone has any idea what we might be doing wrong (we're both new to Oracle and WebLogic), we'd appreciate it...

Regards,
Peter Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 04:21:01 CDT