Re: switching to locally managed tablespaces

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:40:24 +0100

> > If you do the conversion, remember to create a range of extent-sized
> > tablespaces (64K, 512K, 1M, 8M, 64M), and move the right table(s) into
the
> > right tablespace.
>
> I haven't fully confidence in this. When I have begun to use LMTs I
> did some tests. I've measured performance while using different
> extent-sized. I've learned that even with 8k extent size and 300MB
> object the performance difference against 512k extent size was just
> few percent.
> So I have decided to use uniform extent size 64K for *ALL* objects in
> our databases. The biggest tables has about 500 - 700 MB. My idea is
> to has only as few tablespaces as needed, because of administration
> overhead.

Jonathan pointed out earlier (if I read him correctly) that there is a 'per tablespace' limit for the number of extents which will fit in the bitmap. So you may not get degradation on any individual table with a few thousand extents but if the bitmap is dealing with hundreds of thousands of extents it may suffer.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA