performance on intermedia query with order by, help!!

From: Carlos Hernandez <infoactiva_at_manquehuet.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 16:25:26 -0400

Hi, I'm tuning a simple intermedia query, like this:

select * from articles
where contains(title,'study')>0
order by title

the table "articles" has about 950000 rows, and the query above returns about 10000 rows. The problem is the "order by". It takes about 29 secs to sort the data. If I don't use it, the query takes about 2 secs to return the data, which is completely reasonable. Please don't tell me not to use the "order by" because I really need it. The SORT_AREA_SIZE is set to 8Mb, should I increase it even more? I've created a 3Mb text file with the 10000 rows.

can I create an asc index on the "title" column so the data can be pre-sorted? How?

i'm running this on Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 2.8

thanks Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 15:25:26 CDT