Re: datafiles and tempfiles

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:20:37 -0400

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D20B954.22871AFD_at_exesolutions.com...
> Chuck wrote:
>
> > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message

> > > There is not. They are two different things, aren't they.
> > >

> > Last time I checked they were both files and should be backed up when
doing
> > in a cold backup. Unless you want to have to recreate the temp
tablespaces
> > manually that is.
>
> No I have ever known backs up the temp tablespace. Do you back up log
files too?

Yes I back up online logs too. I do it for two reasons

  1. It simplifies the restore script. I just run a tar -xvf filename and I am done. No additional steps of resetting logs or recreating tablespaces after restarting the database.
  2. It's what oracle explicitly states to do for a cold backup in their documentation. See metalink note # 97495.1 updated last on 10-Jun-2002. Though this document is geared for NT the principles of a cold backup are the same. It clearly says to backup *all* database files (I take that to mean tempfiles and datafiles since they are both part of the database), and all online redo log files. There are a host of othe metalink documents that deal with cold backups and all of them say the same thing. Get all database files and online redo logs. It makes the recovery simpler.