Re: ORACLE INCREASES COST OF ORACLE9i DBA CERTIFICATION

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2002 10:14:04 -0700

In article <3d21b56e$1$238$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>, "Niall says...

>"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message
>> "K. Zamboni" <kevinzamboni_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > ORACLE INCREASES COST OF ORACLE9i DBA CERTIFICATION
>> > New "Instructor-Led" Training Requirement Costs at Least US$1500
>>
>> I've read that reason for this is "increasing the level of quality of
>> our certification skill and ability benchmarks". Sounds funny to me,
>
>I'm not a fan of the 'have to have taken one course from 4 but we don't care
>which one' requirement that looks like a straightforward revenue increasing
>strategy to me. I am a fan of the 'Scenario based testing in all new Oracle
>Certified Professional track exams (as of January 2002).' change that has
>been made, that should increase the quality of OCP holders. Unless I don't
>know what I'm reading this message appears to have been on the education
>site since february 20002.

20002? Man, I'm impressed! ;)

I really have no idea why the course requirement has been added. I suspect that it's to ensure that OCP holders have at least touched the database once, to try and get away from the "you can read a book and pass these exams" mindset. Of course, I could be totally wrong (have been in the past and almost certainly will be in the future)!

>--
>Niall Litchfield
>Oracle DBA
>Audit Commission UK
>Please include version and platform
>and SQL where applicable
>It makes life easier and increases the
>likelihood of a good answer

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 12:14:04 CDT