Re: venting my spleen

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:14:57 GMT

Tom Hoffmann wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:47:28 -0400, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> >> Most organisations I have been consulting for have *Chinese Walls*
> >> between dba's and developers, with developers looking down on DBAs
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >>
> >> To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
> >
> > And visa versa. DBAs refusing even the most reasonable developer
> > requests such as granting SELECT on some v$ objects.
> >
> > The problem comes from both camps. And ultimately should be laid at the
> > feet of management that doesn't understand that there is no such
> > (singular) position as DBA.
> >
> > The solution, in my view, is to separate production DBAs from
> > developerment DBAs. Production DBAs should rule as gods over their
> > databases and keep developers, testers, hackers, and everyone else out
> > ... especially including management types.
>
> I've never had the opportunity to work in an organization large enough to
> have the luxury of production vs development DBAs, though I like the
> concept.

It makes a huge difference in how things work. In my opinion "DBA" really stands for three very different positions.

  1. Database Architect
  2. Development Lead Developer
  3. Production Database Administrator

And the three positions require entirely different skill sets, entirely different responsibilities, and entirely different mind-sets.

Organizations that try the 'one set of rules for all' approach are the equivalent of those that try to make every problem a nail and apply a hammer to it.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 11:14:57 CDT