Re: ORA-12535 & ORA-12514

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:29:54 GMT

"Franky Thiel" <franky.thiel_at_infohos.be> wrote in news:3d21b997$0$8135$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be:

> I want to connect to a Oracle 8i database (8.1.7.3) (Windows 2000)
> from my client.
>
> The database is not installed in my domain. I want to connect to that
> database using Sqlplus.
>
> Connecting to another Oracle database in our domain is not a problem,
> connecting to the other one gives me the error ORA-12535 - time out.
>
> The connect_timeout_listener_name in the listener.ora is set to 0.
>
> tnsnames.ora :
>
> DB1.WORLD
> (DESCRIPTION
> (ADDRESS_LIST
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = server)(PORT = 1521))
>
> )
>
> (CONNECT_DATA
> (SERVICE_NAME = db1.WORLD)

Not sure whether you mean it is in a different Windows Domain or in a different IP range. Regardless....

Can you ping "server"? If not, then you can't expect TNS to find "server" to talk to it. Try replacing "server" in the tnsnames.ora file with the FQDN (fully qualified domain name), like server.whatever.com. If that doesn't work, try pinging server.whatever.com. Maybe it's not in DNS. If worse comes to worse, replace "server" in the tnsnames.ora file with the actual IP address of the server, and see if you can get through.

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services