Re: How to import to 9i from 8.1.7?

From: Henry Kam <kam1_at_whwpe.lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:58:14 GMT

Howard,
Sorry about the confusion (Error in my typing....)

I did an export (b.dmp) from Machine B in which o8i was installed and transferred b.dmp to Machine A in which o9iR1 was installed( Two database were in
different character sets)...

Then in Machine A: ORACLE_HOME & ORACLE_SID were set

            imp userid=system/manager show=y file=b.dmp
           terminates with error:

IMP-00016: required character set conversion (type 31 to 871) not supported IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

Trying to overcome the above errro, I then issued the command " imp userid=system/manager_at_orcl "  from Machine A (o9iR1) thru network
after modifying hosts/tnsnames.ora and got the following error:

 Connected to: Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Productio

 With the Partitioning option
 JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

 EXP-00056: ORACLE error 942 encountered
 ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
 EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

Please advise,
Henry