Re: A Question regarding null columns.

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:58:20 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:std1iu0p7do1cjfp1n1dfp1nf1ivu317i7_at_4ax.com...
> Why provide all the details, when people responding here are all
> clairvoyant.
> The experiment requested above is also unnecessary.
> NULL is nothing, doesn't compare with anything, so NO index, by
> design.

I think that (trying my crystal ball out) telemachus knows that, His point is that since the column is defined as NOT NULL why does the optimiser need to do an FTS to detrmine that there are no nulls. My initial thought was that you have a column defined as not null novalidate but that doesn't show up as a not null column. The question seems reasonable to me - though I don't have an answer.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA