Re: Any Recommendations On Oracle Server Spec, Itanium , Sun or IBM

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 20:13:20 GMT

Niko wrote:

> If I start the other way, I know what I would recommend however I am
> not in the business of reinventing the wheel, going through same
> process that everyone else does time and time again and am only asking
> for an opinion from people who may or may not have used this type of
> hardware. My normal hardware would be something like IBM S85's or 5K
> dev servers. Speccing 50K boxes is something I don't tend to do and
> would like to leverage some of the expertise on this group.
>
> TIA
> "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:<3d1f46ca_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> > "Niko" <nick_wakefield_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to spec an Oracle server and basically have between a 1000 and
> > > 1500 dollars a month budget for the hardware, assuming I recommend a
> > > lease.(I think that equate to around 40K to 60K of hardware)
> > >
> > > The intended use is for a 100GB data warehouse, with probably only a
> > > couple of queries running at a time.
> > >
> > > My options are
> > >
> > > 4 way Itanium, 4-8GB of RAM Linux 64 Bit, IBM or DELL I guess
> > > 4 way XEON MP, 4-8GB of RAM Linux, again IBM or DELL
> > > Sunfire of some kind running Solaris
> > > IBM of somekind running something.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations on what I should be looking at, I basicaly want
> > > the fastest box for my money, and I already have the backup stuff
> > > covered. My concern with the non unix boxes is the IO performance
> > > compared to a normal unix platform.
> > >
> > > TIA
> >
> > Sorry, but this seems to me to be entirely the wrong approach.
> > In this case you need to start from the bottom up, not the top down.
> > Then, if you can't meet the budget, start discussing the trade-offs and
> > compromises.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Paul

The advice you have received it not about reinventing the wheel. Every case is different. So it is impossible to give you an answer.

In short ... you have no choice but to either do the work or make a wild guess.

Personally, if I had a choice, I wouldn't use a Windows box for anything more serious than my mother's recipe collection.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 15:13:20 CDT