Re: Import bug

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:44:36 -0400

"Chuck" <chuckh_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:afiiru$ep5ef$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de...
> Oh really? Not a specal case? Then how does the DBA doing the full import
> manage to grant permissions on objects he doesn't own if it's not a
special
> case? Try doing that under normal cicumstances. It doesn't work does it?
But
> it does work during an import, doesn't it? Withour such an exception to
the
> norm you would never be able to restore a database from a full export. So
> much for a full import not being a special case. Even oracle considers it
so
> or they wouldn't be bypassing normal restrictions when it comes to
granting
> permissions.

Well not really a special case .... 9i has given the dba those powers explicitly...
anyway even in 8i a dba could always do it by a simple workaround ...

* find out what the users encryped password is ...
* alter user x identified by temppass;
* connect x/temppass
* grant <priv> on <object> to <anotheruser>;
* connect back as dba and

   alter user x identified by values <orig_encrypted_password>

not that this is a sane way to do it .. nor do I recommend doing it like shown above :)..
I just wanted to show that dba can do it even in 8i. So imp does not really have a special privilege ... its just
that the dba role had been missing that "grant any" privilege which is now there in 9i dba role.

Anurag Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 14:44:36 CDT