Re: Import bug

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:32:57 GMT

Answers interspersed below:

Chuck wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>
> >but I will no longer respond to you
> > and your postings no matter how sincere unless you apologize to Sybrand
> for your
> > uncalled for language. If you are looking for the problem ... try a
> mirror.
>
> The reason I responded to Sy the way I did was because of the insulting and
> condescending attitude of his reply. If he doesn't like being spoken to that
> way he shouldn't speak to others that way.
>
> Sy quoted below...
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > Instead of sorting that out you immediately resort to gross and
> > exaggerated statements. There are millions of people that *can* work
> > with import without any problem. Doesn't that tell you anything?
>
> Going back to yor message now...
>

> > It is a normal database operation. It is not a special
> > case.
>
> Oh really? Not a specal case? Then how does the DBA doing the full import
> manage to grant permissions on objects he doesn't own if it's not a special
> case? Try doing that under normal cicumstances. It doesn't work does it? But
> it does work during an import, doesn't it? Withour such an exception to the
> norm you would never be able to restore a database from a full export. So
> much for a full import not being a special case. Even oracle considers it so
> or they wouldn't be bypassing normal restrictions when it comes to granting
> permissions.

Now this is just a wild guess ... but how about:

ALTER USER chuck QUOTA UNLIMITED ON tablespace_name;

or

ALTER USER chuck QUOTA 100M ON tablespace_name;

Was that so difficult?

If you don't have permission to do this, which is what I suspect, then perhaps it is because your DBA thinks as much of you as many that have met you here in this forum.

As Tom Kyte has pointed out ... if you could bypass quotas by running an IMPort every nimrod onthe planet would be violating quotas by using exports.

> > Quite frankly I've become weary of your little rant and your insulting
> behavior.
> > Others may choose to help you now and in the future (you really didn't
> want any
> > help did you ... you just wanted to whine)
>
> Actually I was looking to see if anyone else felt this was a bug and to warn
> others that imp cannot be considered 100% reliable to restore a database
> from a full export.

And now you have learned that NO ONE else thinks this is a bug. That we all find it completely consistent with the security model. And that you have managed to convince a large number of senior developers and DBAs that you are hard of learning.

So what do you think? Do you think everyone else is wrong and you are right? Or, just possibly, did you perhaps find that you, and you alone, don't understand the Oracle security model.

Hmmmmm.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 01 2002 - 11:32:57 CDT