Re: 30 instances on one host (Windoz?)

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:39:40 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:08:26 +1000, Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>In article <afmfp1$peo$07$2_at_news.t-online.com>, you said (and I quote):
>>
>> but my boss said why not puting every record in a seperate instance,
>> but we would need o lot more dba for doing this
>
>Your boss needs to meet my boss. Maybe his knowledge and intelligence
>would rub off.
>

>> and backup is also very simple
>>
>> every dba can memorize his record and key it in after data loss
>>

>Yes! How come I never thought of this one! I'll suggest this to the
>J2EE designers at work. They might use it to put the recovery
>functionality with the business logic in the app layer.
>

>:-D
>
>--
>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

Oh no, Oracle is falling behind the curve . .

July 1, 2002; Armonk, NY
International Business Machines (NYSE IBM) announced today new Virtual Byte functionality for their DB2 database managment system.

Virtual Byte places a single byte (one character) of data per tablespace. According to the system's designer, Dr. Pullia Leg, this architecture allows for massive parrallelization of all disk I/O. In addition, the staff of DBA's can simply memorize the values of the bytes in the tablespaces for which they are responsible, thus allowing simple keyboard entry for any databse recovery. (IBM recommends a "best practice" of limiting the number of tablespaces for which a DBA is responsible.)

IBM states that Virtual Byte is the upgrade path to the next generation of this technology, code named 'Virtual Bit.' Few details are available at this time on the final feature set of Virtual Bit.

Customers upgrading their DB2 systems to Virtual Byte will receive discount pricing on IBM's recently announced "Whale" and "Leviathan" massaive magnetic-disk storage systems, which were announced last week as the next-generation replacement for Shark.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)