Re: ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

From: Jonathan Scott <jonokun_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:42:25 GMT

I apologize for the inappropriate ettitquette before.

I have followed the instructions you have suggested, from the beginning. It is possible I could have missed something.

In my /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax I have the following: 2147483647

This clearly seems to be enough. I just increased my physical memory to 320MB, and I checked top for the oracle and svrmgrl process; they start out near the top of "top" but then go to the very bottom, in SLEEP state. I have no idea what they are getting blocked for, really, but it seems it could be part of the problem. The problem seems to be the same and has not changed in any way.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome! ;)

Jonathan Scott

"Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3D204690.154239D9_at_mytoys.de...
> Jonathan Scott wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to run Oracle 8.1.7 on SuSE 8.0 Linux, and I've got the
> > installation done for the most part, but as with all things, there is
always
> > something left to be done.
> >
> > My problem is that when I try to create my first database on this
> > installation(my first Linux installation ever), using an .sql file, when
> > svrmgrl runs for a few minutes, thinking, before it even finishes the
first
> > statement, the following comes out:
> >
> > ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
> > LCC-00161: Message 161 not found; product=SVRMGR; facility=MGR
> >
> > Before running this, I could start up svrmgrl without any problem. Once
> > run the "svrmgrl command=@crdbtrad5" command, it hits the above
messages,
> > and forever after that it continues to print
> >
> > ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
> >
> > when I just run svrmgrl alone.
> >
> > I've checked top and it seems SWAP is not getting touched, however
physical
> > memory is very low, down to about 4MB even before I start the DB
creation.

> > Im not a pro, but it seems maybe physical memory could be the problem?
Maybe