Re: venting my spleen

From: Tom Hoffmann <tom.hoffmann_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:12:34 GMT

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002 16:37:02 -0400, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:36:51 +0100, "Paul Brewer"
> <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Tom Barnes" <barnest_at_san.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Part of the problem seems to be the lack of communication between the
>>> DBAs and the developers. I recommend that you don't separate your
>>> people into two camps of "DBAs" and "developers". You'll need to work
>>> together constantly!
>>
>>Sorry, but I disagree with sentence 2. The responsibilities,
>>accountabilities and skillsets differ, so IMHO, in other than the
>>smallest shop, there should be a demarcation line. But I agree entirely
>>with sentences 1 and 3; developers and DBAs do need to work together
>>cooperatively to build, deploy and maintain successful applications, and
>>given a set of intelligent, mature adults I see no reason why this
>>should present any problem.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Paul
>>

> Most organisations I have been consulting for have *Chinese Walls* > between dba's and developers, with developers looking down on DBAs

Hmm, same in my organization, although the walls are virtual and have been set up by the developers because they "know everything".

While I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, my experience as an SA (and part-time DBA) over the past 12 years is that developers are notorious for wanting to blame all their problems on either the OS or the DBMS ... particularly when performance is involved ... when they did not engage the expertise of either individuals when they were designing their programs. I keep telling them that performance can not be added after the fact ... it has to be designed in. I have spent countless hours over the years just proving to developers that the problem is with their code ... not the OS or DBMS.

While I realize this is only my experience and can not be genrealized to the entire developer population, it is particularly vexing to me that developers in general expect the SAs and DBAs to drop everything to look into why their programs don't work as they expect, but they are unwilling to cooperate to help solve the problem. The old dump-and-run is usually the order of the day ... "Call me when you've fixed my problem". Received on Sun Jun 30 2002 - 18:12:34 CDT