Re: creation of new database under RedHat Linux 7.3 problems

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:28:21 GMT

Faust A. Tanasescu <davoid_at_gentoo.org> wrote in news:20020629194942.4eac836e.davoid_at_gentoo.org:

> Hello.
>
> My goal is to create a database and add some users. Having problems
> with creating. Here's details.
>
> I have just installed Oracle on a Redhat 7.3 system. The installation
> went well, except for the Database creation GUI that simply would not
> work, complaining that it can not connect to Oracle. SO I just exited
> the install.
>
> I then started srvmgr and once I do connect SYSTEM and I supply the
> password, I receive error ORA-12545: Connection failed because target
> host or object does not exist.
>
> What am I doing wrong? (new to Oracle)
>
> I _have_ taken a look at all the manuals on otn.oracle.com, but I am
> unable to create a database.
>

> Thank you for your time.
> Davoid.

If there isn't a database created yet, there can't very well be a system account.

First, you need an init file. Look in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs, copy init.ora to some initwhatever.ora file. Replace "whatever" with the name of your database. Modify the initwhatever.ora file to reflect where the control files are going, dump files, etc....

Make sure the directories exist that you specified for each location. Make sure the "oracle" user can write to them.

Now, as the "oracle" user, set ORACLE_SID to the name of your database.

Run Server Manager (svrmgrl) (I think Oracle wants everyone to use SQL*Plus starting with 8i). Type "connect internal".

Proceed with creating your database from here.

Better yet, go to technet.oracle.com, search for "how to create a database". It explains in detail how to do so, either with a GUI or with a SQL script.

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services