Re: whats going on

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:55:22 +1000

I can't claim to be so selfless.

I *read* the newsgroup because I can learn. Fair enough.

I *post* to the newsgroup partly because I can occasionally help, partly because I see egregious errors being propagated that I know I'll meet on the next training course, and partly because it offends my sensibilities to have outrageous untruths in the public domain. I think 100% of anyone who posts the first time, however "dumb" the question (we all had to learn somewhere, somehow); I think progressively less of anyone who, when the facts are laid bare, persists in believing myths or the power of their own ignorance (system rollback segments anyone??!).

I also happen to think that the discipline of posting a factual reply prompts one to test and test and test. So, even from the least knowledgable, you can actually learn something. Hence the not-so-selflessness: I'm here to get better.

My nearest and dearest would love me to stop posting (which means that at some point, I shall, grit my teeth though I may). It's a constant battle to say "I need to". But, from what I read here from time to time, 'they' need it, and so do I.

Regards
HJR