Help:Memory set for Solaris Box

From: Joe Sath <dbadba62_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 23:00:24 GMT

I am posting my question here because I know many good DBAs are also good SAs.

We are currently using Oracle 817 on Solaris 2.7

We have 2G memory.
I set db buffer 800MB (which 300MB for keep, 100MB for recycle) SGA we set 200MB
sort_area_size we set at 1M

From top command, I can see there is always 1000MB swap memory in use. From vmstat, I can see there is high page-in, page-out, (about 100, 300) and sr (around 10) is also very high, does this mean I have put too much memory for Oracle? What is the good size I should assign for Oracle?

I do not see any performance issue yet, all the hit ratio, both db buffer hit and libray are close to 100%. But just curious. Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 18:00:24 CDT