Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:41:58 -0600

Joe Salmeri wrote:

> And just how would you deal with the issues that Sean stated when he said:
>
> "Because, maybe, they have 12 TB databases which would require 6000
> datafiles to manage if they were only 2 GB apiece? You can start
> hitting OS barries with that many datafiles, like openfiles or, in our
> case, nflocks since we're on a NAS."

He'd probably tell you that I like to pull his chain (in good fun) now and then with scenarios like these which are far and away the exception, and by no means the rule. The above example is a real system, not a pie-in-the-sky example, but it's also not a very common setup, and defies much conventional wisdom. How big a database are you talking about in your original question?

Regards,
Sean M Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 17:41:58 CDT