Re: Import bug

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:12:24 GMT

Chuck wrote:

> So what you are saying in effect is that a full import is not a valid means
> to restore a database. You can't necessarily import what was exported. IMHO
> this is not the way import *should* work. An import is a different case than
> normal database activity. It's a means of restoring a database and a full
> import being run by a user with DBA privileges should be treated
> differently. It shold allow you to override the quota limitations on all
> tablespaces in order to restore the database to the exact same logical
> condition as when it was exported.
> --
> Chuck
>
> "Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> > In article <afhphc$e55en$1_at_ID-85580.news.dfncis.de>, "Chuck" says...
> > >
> > >I believe I've just discovered a bug in the import process.Please tell me
> if
> > >you agree. In the case where a user owns tables but has no quota on any
> > >tablespace, you can export that user but when you try to import it the
> > >tables will not be created. Even running the import as a DBA user, you
> still
> > >cannot import the the tables.
> > >
> > >I discovered this the hard way. I imported an export file to recreate a
> > >database. Everything worked fone except for that one user.
> > >

> > if you mean by "no quota" -- you mean that a simple create table by that
> user
> > would fail since then have no privs to allocate space -- then no, this is
> > certainly not a bug.
> >
> > --
> > Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com) http://asktom.oracle.com/
> > Expert one on one Oracle, programming techniques and solutions for Oracle.
> > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861004826/
> > Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corp

I don't think that is what Tom said at all. And I find your original posting logically inconsistent. How exactly does a schema come to have tables in a tablespace in which its quota is zero?

And what developer, or DBA, could possibly think that they are going to violate the security model by building objects in a tablespace for which they have no privilege to create anything.

The only bug I see here is in not doing reasonable preparation before trying the import.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 11:12:24 CDT