Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Joe Salmeri <JoeSalmeri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:20:21 GMT

In 7+ years of managing Oracle databases I have only had one incident where the database became corrupt and that was because of a hardware failure, not because of a bug in the operating system or in Oracle. I guess I have just been EXTREMELY lucky.

In the scenerio you describe I would not have a warm comfort level restoring that one datafile. What would happen if there were tables in that bad tablespace that had referential integrity to other tables in another tablespace?

Not sure what the 4gb boundary you are referring to is, but I have had NT 4.0 filesystems that were 40 gb in size that never experienced any problems.